Twelve Tips for Greater
Enjoyment of your Gold and Silver Jewelry
by: Sam Serio
Jewelry can be beautiful to look at, fun to buy, and can make bold and
revealing statements about you. Hear are some tips for greater enjoyment of your
favorite gold and silver jewelry.
1. Never swim in a chlorinated pool while wearing gold and silver jewelry.
2. Always apply make-up, perfumes, oils or colognes before you put on your gold
and silver jewelry
3. Keep both your skin and your gold and silver jewelry clean and free of oil.
4. Using an absorbent, abrasive-free body powder on areas that your gold and
silver jewelry touches your skin can help with skin discoloration.
5. If you do have any skin discoloration you may need to move to a higher gold
content. Say, from 14K gold jewelry to 18K jewelry.
6. Are your gold and silver chains all tied-up in knots? If so, here’s a nifty
little trick for straightening them out. Dust your chain with a little talcum
powder and then try to unknot it. If the knot is stubborn, place a small drop of
baby oil on a sheet of wax paper. Lay the knot in the oil and work it out with
two pins; then clean the chain as instructed below.
7. Don't be afraid to wear gold and silver jewelry together. Artful use of
accessories that use both metals provide an effective visual segue' or bridge.
8. For daily cleaning it is recommended to use a simple jewelry polishing cloth
that is impregnated with special jewelry cleaner. These are widely available and
are very easy to use. Store your cloth in a plastic zip-lock bag, and keep in
your jewelry drawer or armoire. It is a good idea to have one cleaning cloth for
gold and one for silver.
9. For a Super Spring Cleaning of your gold and silver jewelry, mix 1cup of
clean warm water with ˝ cup of ammonia. Soak your jewelry in this solution for
about 15 minutes; gently scrub with a soft, clean toothbrush, then rinse in warm
water. Air dry on an absorbent paper towel. When thoroughly dry, you may lightly
buff with a soft flannel cloth.
10. If a ring gets stuck on your finger; spray the area surrounding the ring
with Windex. Wiggle and twist the ring right off.
11. For a slightly more "in depth" cleaning you may want to use a liquid jewelry
12. For cleaning badly tarnished silver, here's a neat little trick.
A. Cover the inside bottom of a heat-proof glass dish on bowl with a piece of
aluminum foil, shiny side up.
B. Place the tarnished silver in the bottom of the dish, contacting the aluminum
C. Add 1 heaping tablespoon of baking soda, and then slowly pour boiling water
to cover the piece. The tarnish will gradually collect on the aluminum foil.
Remove your silver, rinse thoroughly, and polish.
Gemstone Care & Cleaning Tips
Gemstones are quite literally hard as rock, buy they can be damaged from
careless handling and negligence. Here are some tips for keeping your gems and
jewelry looking fabulous for years to come.
Caring for your jewelry
Caring for your gemstones
Find Jewelry Gifts
Find Gifts with your selection of
Find Vitamins and Natural Remedies
Specialgifts.com Infocenter Home
Sam Serio is an Internet Marketer, musician and a writer on the subject of
jewelry and gemstones. For more information on jewelry and gemstones, visit
www.morninglightjewelry.com to pick up your copy of “How To Buy Jewelry And
Gemstones Without Being Ripped Off.” This report
reveals almost everything you ever wanted to know about jewelry and gemstones,
but were afraid to ask.